Monday, April 26, 2010

Meatless Mondays

I came across this really interesting site last week:
www.meatlessmonday.com
Our goal is to help reduce meat consumption 15% in order to improve personal health and the health of our planet.  We're a non-profit initiative, in association with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

I love this idea. One day a week to cut out meat!  Jeff & I eat way too much meat everyday already.
I wonder who is making all these meaty meals .... cough cough..

The fact it is on Monday really suits us because
   1. We usually relax on weekends and eat whatever, and
   2. This is a great way to start off the week!

I'm not a stranger to meatless eating either.  All in my 20's I went from being a vegetarian for years...to eating some fish....to just not eating red meat....to just throwing it all out the window when I hit 30.  Ironically 30 is also when I gained a lot of weight and became so unfit I couldn't climb a flight of stairs without sweating...hmmmmmm....
I brought this idea up with hubby and he seemed a bit weary but willing to try it with me, or at least until he has too many hungry Mondays.
So my goal is to make Mondays Meatless and fill the empty cavern of a stomach on Jeff at the same time.  Whew!

Today the menu is pretty simple and easy:
Breakfast:
Bowl of Oatmeal with a little cinnamon and honey
Lunch:
Butternut Squash Soup (thawed from the batch I made this winter)
Homemade little French loaves
Dinner:
Pasta with homemade marinara sauce
Whole wheat garlic bread

See...nothing threatening there :)
For the Pasta sauce I just did what I do with my Pizza sauce except use a plain can of tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes.
For the Whole wheat garlic bread I just lightly butter whole wheat bread slices and sprinkle garlic powder (not salt) over. Broil for 5 minutes until browned.

So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment