Monday, April 19, 2010

Brussels Sprouts (& cute baby ducks!)

Ok, cheap trick to try to get you to read about brussels sprouts but honestly how can I not show pictures of the baby ducks at our pond.  I have a new hobby of "duck watching" and reporting what cute things they are doing at the moment to Jeff who in turn is obligated to oooh and awwww with me.   :)  I just want to cuddle them all!
Now back to that vegetable that is so feared amongst my friends....
When I say that this simple recipe might change your mind if you are not a fan of brussels sprouts I really mean it.  The first time I made them I had it as a side dish with a thick steak and potatoes to try to soften the presentation to Jeff.  After one bite he was hooked and even the little crisp leaves that fell off were gobbled like potato chips.
If being rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, and dietary fiber doesn't convince you to try to include this in your diet a research study reveled eating brussels sprouts may help prevent colon cancer. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients:
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Olive oil (enough to evenly coat)
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Rinse off brussels sprouts.  Using a small knife, trim off a little of the the stem end and remove any dark or damaged outside leaves and discard.  Place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt & pepper to taste, coating completely. Pour out on a large baking sheet and bake in oven for 45 minutes, shaking occasionally.
3. Add more salt & pepper if desired and serve immediately.

 now back to my duck watching... 

No comments:

Post a Comment