Sunday, April 11, 2010

Freakin Good Lasagna

Our week of healthier and Easter candyless eating was well ... a bit boring.  Partially my fault for being unimaginative and lazy but I've made a promise to myself to be better .... ummmm ... starting Monday.
So to celebrate all that healthy eating I'm making LASAGNA!!!!  Yes I guess I could go on a 5 mile run to celebrate but I just don't have that in me right now and I'm just going to embrace my inner naughty today.  My body is craving carbs.....delicious carbs covered in sauce and topped with more carbs.  Oh baby.....
This has to be the best lasagna I have ever eaten, so good in fact we have to watch ourselves or we will eat the entire pan without a second thought (see previous post as proof).  I love the contrast of flavors with the stewed tomatoes and sharp cheddar, it just all melds together so yummy.  My favorite kind of sharp cheese is Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp.  If you haven't tried it give it a shot!  Really tasty.

I saw the original recipe on Down Home with the Neelys and I've made only a couple of adjustments.  If I'm feeling sassy I make my own Lasagna noodles  :)  La dee da!

Mama's Lasagna
Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lb ground beef or turkey
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
  • 9 large lasagna noodles (or enough for 3 layers in your casserole)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 (15 oz) tub ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan plus 1/4 more for the top
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley 
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1 (8 oz) bag shredded mozzarella
  • 8 oz sharp cheddar, grated

1. In a large saute pan, over medium high heat, saute chopped onion in oil for about 1 minute.  Add meat and garlic and cook till browned.  Drain pan of fat and add tomato paste and can of tomato sauce, reserving about 1/4 cup of tomato sauce for the bottom of the casserole dish.  In a food processor pulse stewed tomatoes till large chunks are chopped. Add to the saute pan with the meat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil for the noodles.  Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions (about 7-8 min).
3. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, then mix in ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, and basil.
4. Pour the reserved 1/4 cup tomato sauce in a 9x13 inch casserole pan, lightly covering the bottom of the pan.  Grate the block of sharp cheddar cheese and set aside.  
5. Now you are ready to make the lasagna layers, this recipe makes 3 layers.  Lay 3 of the cooked noodles evenly in the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella and grated cheddar cheese evenly on top. Spoon 1/3 of the meat mixture on top. Repeat layering twice more:
  1. noodles
  2. ricotta cheese mixture
  3. Mozzarella and cheddar cheese
  4. Meat mixture
You will end on the meat mixture.  Sprinkle the top with about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.  Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, removing foil for last 10 minutes of baking.  You will know when its done when the edges are bubbling and its slightly brown on top... and when you start to drool.


4 comments:

  1. oooo please tell me this is the same lasagna that you made for us when we visited?? ive been dreaming about it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family, specially the kids, love lasagna too! They like beef lasagna the best but I also use turkey or sausage once in a while. Right now, I'm getting them to eat veggie lasagna, not making too much of a progress but at least they're trying, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Stacy this is the very same one! :) There is something just too addictive about it.

    Putting veggies in this actually would be fun too, or should I say sneaking veggies in it for our house. I have mixed spinach in with the ricotta before & it can out just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK! Have eaten 65 years' worth (more or less) of lasagnas, from the best of the family cooks, and I'll admit -- this IS the best! Oh, my goodness, Patricia! Loved it, loved it, loved it!

    ReplyDelete