Monday, May 17, 2010

Meatless Monday - Roasted Garlic Hummus

I love hummus, it makes such a satisfying dip and spread for sandwiches. Its too expensive to buy pre-made all the time so I like to whip up a cheaper version at home. I used to use only chickpeas but I saw someone once make it with great northern beans and have made it that way since.  Jeff also is a fan of the northern beans, it is slightly creamer and sweeter than chickpeas. I omit the Tahini usually used in hummus cause frankly I have a hard time finding it here and it saves me a little extra $$.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Ingredients:
  • 1 (15oz) can of Great Northern Beans
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 bulb garlic
  • salt & pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut top off garlic bulb and drizzle a little olive oil on the cut portion.  Place on baking sheet top side up and roast in oven for 40 minutes.  Cool and the roasted garlic should be able to be easily squeezed from the skin.
2. In a food processor combine the can of beans (drained), olive oil, lemon juice, roasted garlic cloves, salt & pepper. Pulse till smooth.

My delicious lunch veggie wrap: tortilla with hummus spread, grated carrots, onion, spinach, cucumber and sliced tomato.
Yum Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment