Friday, March 12, 2010

Alfredo Sauce

While we were over at my sister's having our pasta extravaganza the other night I got the comment that my Alfredo Sauce tasted just like what you get in a restaurant (I'm guessing that comment was for the nice restaurant and not the dive down the street :)
I wanted to post how simple it really is to whip this up for those of you who have never made your own. For the time it takes for pasta to cook I can be done with this sauce which for me, the queen of "have to have it all ready at the same time", is wonderful.  Plus unlike the 10,000 calorie sauces in restaurants this one I make with 1% milk ...  waaaay nicer to my tummy and to my thighs ;)

The picture is our favorite way to serve this sauce...bowtie pasta, steamed green beans, and slices of cooked turkey bacon. Steamed broccoli is also really good in this too!


Alfredo Sauce
This recipe makes enough sauce for 2 (very hungry) people
Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 2 Tbsp Flour
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 1 Tbsp dry parsley (if it is all leafy sometimes I like to crush it slightly)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • fresh ground black pepper (adjust to your taste - we use about 1/2 tsp)
  • little bit of salt to taste (if you are adding turkey bacon use less or no salt)
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in saucepan.
2. Add flour and whisk together on medium or med/low heat, cook for about 1-2 minutes.
3. Pour in milk.
4. Whisk in parsley, garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper.
5. Turn the heat to medium med/high & heat bring to just bubbling, till the sauce thickens, making sure to stir while cooking. Give it a little taste test and adjust seasonings to your liking if needed.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, pour over your favorite pasta and serve!
OPTIONAL: Add sliced turkey bacon or cooked chicken pieces to sauce before you add cheese (the only turkey bacon we ever get is Butterball - the rest tastes like cardboard to me)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Patricia...it's Kimberly and Carlton! Your blog is awesome and I will being trying this recipe for alfredo sauce for sure. (Carlton loves alfredo sauce!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kimberly!
    Glad you checked out my blog! Let me know how Carlton likes this sauce, Jeff & I like it waaaay too much :) I had to take it off the menu for a while so we didnt burn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Patricia...I made chicken alfredo with your recipe Tuesday night and it was delicious....it got rave reviews on this end...will definately be a repeat recipe!! :) (next time I am going to have to double the recipe though!!!) I have an easy cake recipe for ya that is cool to try:
    -1 box cake mix (i use yellow but will probably work with anything)
    - 1 can of Dr. Pepper
    Mix both ingredients into microwave safe bowl and microwave for 9-10 minutes. Fast, easy, and tastes good!!!

    ReplyDelete