Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Even Better Potatoes Gratin

So our month of trying to get back on track and be healthy went pretty good.  Yesterday I was able to run 2 miles which its been a while since I've gone that far.  My goal is to get back into the 5k I was doing a year and a half ago, preferably without feeling like my heart is going to explode and knees collapse at any moment.
With all this talk about health you would think I would be posting my super-duper healthy recipe........nah. 
We had our day off and I wanted to experiment more with the potatoes I did before.  I think this recipe is more of your normal gratin...but made so much better with condensed milk.  Wow!  This one is way better than the first one I did, and it stayed together nicely when cutting from the pan. Leftovers are going to be my breakfast...hows that for healthy!  :)
Enjoy!

Even Better Potatoes Gratin
Ingredients:
  • 5 medium Russet potatoes
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 (5oz) can of Evaporated Milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 3 slices of turkey bacon, chopped (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and thinly slice potatoes, making sure slices are the same size.
2. Over medium heat, melt the butter.  Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute.
3. Add in the regular and evaporated milk, salt and pepper, nutmeg, and garlic, whisking till well blended.  Heat till it just starts to bubble (thicken) stirring constantly.
4. Add the cheese and stir till melted.  
5. Remove from heat and add in the chopped turkey bacon.
6. Spray a 9x9 in casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Place a layer of potatoes in dish and spoon out about 4 Tbsp of sauce over potatoes, trying to spread a thin layer.  Repeat layering potatoes and little bits of sauce making sure you leave enough sauce to cover the entire dish at the end.
7.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes in the oven, removing foil for the last 15 minutes to brown potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment