Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Kale and Avocado Salad

Kale........ sigh
I wish I knew more about you... you sweet, tough kale but I don't.  I wish I knew a way to make you more appealing towards my husband (yes we have that kind of relationship ;) and give him the nutritious powerhouse he needs.  But noooooooo I cant seem to do it short of dipping you in chocolate.  Any chocolate/kale recipes out there please let me know!
My current food obsession has turned to kale, and with all the delicious nutrition it provides I really want to be able to make it part of our diet.  Tons of vitamin A, C and K and low in calories it is something that we should be eating more of, but somehow we are not.  Its a total winter green and I have decided that I will buy tons and try to make Jeff looooove it.
This recipe has been showing up, in its various forms, on many of my search inquiries for kale and has been sloshing around in my head for a while.  I adjusted some of the measurements to my particular tastes but feel free to make this your own.  I have to say the massaging process breaks down the kale nicely (check out the difference from pic 1 to pic 3 below) and the cayenne pepper gives it a kick.  I was licking my fingers after I finished prepping ... it was sooo good.
Unfortunately "the man" was not too thrilled at the taste and texture and he only ate a couple of bites before calling it quits.  Oh well, I really enjoyed this recipe and playing with my food.... I'm a kid again!

Kale and Avocado Salad
Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 large bunch of kale
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • pinch of sea salt to taste

1. Wash Kale and shred into pieces
2. Half, pit, and remove avocado from skin.  Add all ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Using both hands massage all ingredients together till kale is wilted. This will take about 10 minutes to get the kale really tender so set the timer and put a show on to watch  ;)
4. Try it with chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, or any salad veggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment