Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches and Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

My sister had her baby shower today and everything was so cute!  Peggy's daughter made the little boxes herself and inside were little mini spice cakes as party favors.
I wanted to make little tea party sandwiches so I found two recipes to try (using baby shower guests as guinea pigs for new recipes probably not a good idea but thankfully they went over very well).

The chicken salad recipe was made by Robin Fuhrman on Allrecipes.com.  Its a bit different than the normal chicken salad recipe because of the curry but I liked the difference.  I also liked the suggestion of chopping in some grapes but since they are so expensive at the store right now I didn't try it.

Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of cooked chicken, cubed
  • 1 medium red apple, cubed
  • 3/4 dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 Tbsp green onions, thinly sliced (green part only)
  • 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder

1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine mayonnaise, lime juice and curry powder; add to chicken mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Cut each slice of bread with a 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Top with lettuce and chicken salad.

While looking up tea sandwich recipes I read that no tea party is complete without a cucumber one.  This one seemed like an odd combo when making it but it tasted pretty good.  I got it from a Great Party Recipes website.

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Ingredients:
  • 1 large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup soft butter spread (not melted)
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste

1.  Lightly salt sliced cucumber and place in colander to drain for about 1 hour.  
2. In bowl combine butter and garlic.
3. In a separate bowl stir together lemon juice, olive oil, and pepper.  Add cucumber to lemon mixture.
3. Spread butter mixture on bread, place sliced cucumbers on top and cover with other slice of bread.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! That table looks great and yummy!! I just found your blog and I like it very much. I'm so craving that chicken salad sandwich right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love cucumbers in sandwiches. Thanks for the simple spread for the cucumber. I've always just added the raw cuke to whatever sandwich I had (beats the pickle).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the sandwiches. You're such a good sister! =)

    ReplyDelete