Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pumpkin Muffins

I got this great recipe for pumpkin muffins from my mother-in-law Barbie when we were visiting last.  Emma fell in love with them and, as they are not loaded with sugar and pretty healthy for a muffin, I was grateful for the addition of this to the super picky eater's diet.  To give it a little extra healthy punch for her I sift in (to keep the big pieces out) some milled flax seed .... & to make it not so healthy for Jeff I add chocolate chips to his.  Yes I am the evil stepmother who doesn't let her stepdaughter know there are chocolate chip versions out there - I figured she gets enough sugar in her life & she already thinks the muffins are a treat (for breakfast this morning she ate 3 big muffins and 2 little ones .. yikes!)
The best part about this is that it freezes well and with a quick zap in the microwave for 30 seconds you have yourself a nice warm snack.  I copied Barbie's method of freezing by wrapping each one individually in clear plastic wrap. 

My friend Jen found the best combination  - pumpkin muffins and hot Chai!   Breakfast of Champions


Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 large can (29 oz) pumpkin
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 6 oz chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Beat oil and sugar together. Add eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin and beat once more.
3. Sift in spices, baking soda & powder.  Sift in flour and mix well.  Add chocolate chips last.
4. Line a muffin pan with cupcake wrappers or use nonstick cooking spray.  Drop spoonfuls into cups and bake 15-18 minutes till a toothpick comes out clean (for medium sized muffins).
5. For a pumpkin cookie version drop spoonfuls on a grease a cookie sheet and bake 18-20 minutes.

Saving for later. .....mmmm... maybe later today

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... "punkin" muffins. I need to make these, Sammo inhales them! Whole Wheat flour, Pumpkin, low- sugar... you betcha thats breakfast. Especially when the pickiest of eaters will eat 3 big and 2 little! I just have to add that it was totally me who discovered the, pop in the microwave for 30 seconds (in barbie's individual wrapping) It wasn't out of genius... lazy-ness, and forgetfulness, I never remembered to put them out the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried these--skip the chips and enjoy the goodness. Made the small ones so I could have 2! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete